15 March 2005

Cheap airlines

We don’t have cheap airlines in Mexico, that is for sure. Except perhaps “Magnicharters” if you desire to go on vacations to a beach resort anywhere in Mexico. So I was curious to find out how cheap it would be to take a flight with Easyjet, Ryanair or AirBerlin. The price with Easyjet was almost 80 euros, from Freiburg to Berlin, while the train costs 100 euros. I thought it would be much cheaper, but it actually isn’t. And when I wanted to buy my plane ticket to Basel with Expedia.com, I got a very good price, but beware! Once you get to the airport, you will have to pay the extra taxes (the famous fuel taxes) that do not appear in the internet website. At least that’s what the sales lady at American Express told me, and she convinced me to buy her the ticket, for 50 dollars more. That’s a good sales strategy. It is the exactly the same kind of strategy I used in my first job (I sold sea and air freight) to get a little more out of the client: always try the “fuel tax”!


No comments: