10 April 2007


They (Ils, France, 2006) ☆☆☆☆☆

It is nice to watch a horror movie that has a conventional plot but a very original twist to it. These movies are rare nowadays. A French language teacher and her boyfriend are living in Bucharest. They live in the suburbs surrounded by nothing but forest. One night, their sleep is interrupted by strange voices coming from the outside. Soon they will be stalked by a group of persons with flashlights. There are not monsters or gory scenes, but the way each scene is constructed is scary enough that you will find it impossible to stay alone in your house. Director David Moreau did an incredible job building a scary atmosphere and the Roumanian settings make the whole movie all the more mysterious and eerie.

Who are "they" exactly? And why do they want to kill this couple? You will discover this when watching the movie. Do not even try to guess; you will be surprised. By the way, this is based on a true story, which makes it even more unsettling.

3 comments:

supercostica said...

:))if they get to live in "the suburbs of Bucharest surrounded by nothing than forest" it means they're filthy rich - Bucharest is in dry low lying area with few woods, so even the plots near woods are very rare and expensive, not to mention those completely surrounded by woods.

inspiredbycoffee said...

Hey Jorge! Long time no chat! Anyway, I was just thinking that maybe you could have some sort of star rating system thing on your blog. Maybe even broken down into different categories or something.

You see, the problem is that sometimes you review films that I'm interested in but in a language I don't understand!!! And I'd still like to know what you think of them. Hence, star rating system. What do you think?! Possible? Too much effort?

In other news, all is well in the land down under. It's cooling down a bit now, but that's still around 23/24 every day! So I'm not complaining! Anyway, keep in touch man. James

JORGE said...

Hi James! Thanks for your comment. Actually, when I began this blog I wanted to create a rating system with little stars or something, but somehow I just forgot about it. And you are not the first to tell me that, so I guess I will seriously consider a rating system.

If you want to know more about any of the previous movies I saw, just let me know and I will tell you more about it. In general, I like most of the movies I write about, some more than others, but they are all good movies. Sometimes I watch a really bad one, and I might still write about it.

Nice to know you are enjoying Australia. Take more pictures if you can. it is interesting to read about your experience in the land down under. If you ever want to go to Adelaide, I have a very good friend there. Just let me know. He also teaches in a school, but science or biology.

Keep checking my blog! keep in touch. Jorge